May 1967 — More than 800 guests fill the Palmer Dixon Tennis Courts to celebrate John Finley’s 25th anniversary as Master of Eliot House.
May 5, 1969 — The Harvard Corporation approves the creation of a 15-member University Benefits Committee to oversee and develop faculty-staff benefit plans (for pensions, medical insurance, etc.) throughout the institution.
May 19, 1970 — Workmen finishing razing the last of Lawrence Hall (1850), irreparably damaged by fire on May 7. The building had already been slated for demolition, to make way for the Science Center.
Late May 1970 — Veteran football coach John M. Yovicsin announces that for reasons of health he will retire at the end of the 1970 season. After the gridiron, Yovicsin will teach general physical fitness and set up new programs in golf, tennis, squash, skiing, and other sports in the newly established position of director of physical training and recreation.
May 7, 1971 — The Harvard University Band plays at New York’s Philharmonic Hall (now Avery Fisher), thus becoming the first Harvard musical group to appear at Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts. The event also marks the Band’s first performance with new conductor Frank Battisti. Sharing the stage is the Princeton University Band.