Heavy rain and high winds are expected to hit the Boston area beginning midday Friday (Sept. 3) as Hurricane Earl passes along the New England coast. While hurricane-force conditions are not expected in this area, there could be up to eight inches of rain and winds severe enough to damage trees and buildings.
To be prepared:
- Keep all windows closed and secured
- Report all facility-related damage and emergencies immediately, at any time, to the University Operations Center: 617.495.5560
- Stay indoors during high winds, lightning, or severe flooding
- Register for emergency alerts through MessageMe
- Have a flashlight available in case of power loss
- Become familiar with building-evacuation routes and emergency procedures
- Turn off unnecessary lighting and electronics
A complete hurricane preparedness checklist can be found here. If conditions become more severe than expected, Harvard may activate its emergency page or communicate with the University community through MessageMe.