May 12, 1638 — By order of the Great and General Court, “Newetowne” is renamed “Cambrige” (Cambridge).
May 1638 — The College Yard expands as the Town of Cambridge grants the College a lot of land that today includes Harvard, Hollis, Stoughton, and Holworthy halls.
May 1855 — Led by Charles W. Eliot (Harvard’s future 21st President) and Edward H. Ammidown, a Harvard Club of Boston is formed. It goes bankrupt in 1857, however, and a Boston club does not reemerge until 1908.
May 30, 1901 — Memorial Day. “The Harvard Lampoon” distributes its first parody of “The Harvard Crimson” (which never publishes on Memorial Day).