The Harvard Undergraduate Council (UC) and President Lawrence H. Summers have announced that they will co-host Springfest 2003 on Sunday (April 27) from noon to 4 p.m. in the area of the MAC Quad.
Building on the success of last year’s Springfest collaboration, this year’s springtime carnival for the Harvard College community features a wide array of food, games, music, and rides. Springfest 2003 is free of charge and open to all Harvard College students, faculty, staff, and their families and guests.
“The Undergraduate Council is very excited about working with President Summers again to build upon the success of last year’s Springfest,” said Michael Blickstead ’05, chair of the UC Campus Life Committee.
“We look forward to celebrating the Harvard College community and breaking the record for the number of burgers flipped and students smiling,” said UC President Rohit Chopra ’04. Springfest 2003’s entertainment includes:
- Food: outdoor barbecue plus cotton candy, ice cream, and popcorn
- Live music from student bands: Blanks., The Capability, Subject to Change, The States, and Golden Girls
- Rides: rock climbing, jousting, moonwalk, human foosball, and more, plus children’s rides in a separate Kiddie Land
- Activities: sand art, temporary tattoos, spin art, and massages from UHS
- Exhibits: Earth Day and other exhibits, including giveaways from student groups. Summers commented, “I’m thrilled to be co-hosting Springfest with the Undergraduate Council again, and to be a part of this wonderful tradition the UC started many years ago. If it’s anything like last year, which brought together thousands of people, it should be a great day.” Springfest 2002 marked the first time the Harvard Undergraduate Council and Summers co-hosted the annual event and enlarged it to include the entire College community.