Steranka Named Associate Director at Office for Technology and Trademark Licensing
Larry Steranka was appointed associate director of the Office for Technology and Trademark. Steranka, who was director of the Office of Technology Transfer at Vanderbilt University for the past four years, previously worked at Nova Pharmaceuticals, a start-up company based on technology from Johns Hopkins University, and then at the multi-national pharmaceutical company, Astra-Zeneca. In his position as associate director, Steranka will be using his industry expertise to oversee the evaluation, patenting, and licensing of inventions from the life science departments in the Faculty of Arts and Sciences and the School of Public Health.
Business School Professor Receives Award for Study
Business School Associate Professor Susan M. Fournier and Associate Professor David Glen Mick of the University of Wisconsin at Madison have received the Harold M. Maynard Award for their Oct., 1999, Journal of Marketing article “Rediscovering Satisfaction,” a study of consumer satisfaction with technological products. The annual award recognizes the article that, in the opinion of the Journals editorial review board, has made the most significant contribution to marketing theory.
Professor Byse Receives Distinguished Teaching Award
Clark Byse, Harvard Law School Byrne Professor of Administrative Law Emeritus, has received the Distinguished Columbian in Teaching Award from Columbia Law School.
The Columbia Law School faculty and alumni association recognized Byse during a January reception in Washington, D.C. that coincided with the Association of American Law Schools annual meeting.
As a student at Columbia, Byse earned the LL.M. degree in 1939 and the S.J.D. degree in 1952. He also received the B.Ed in History from State Teachers College in Wisconsin in 1935 and the LL.B. from the University of Wisconsin in 1938.
Byse, who is a specialist in administrative law and contracts, taught at the University of Iowa and the University of Pennsylvania before joining the Law School faculty in 1957. He has also taught at Boston University School of Law.