The destruction in Haiti has shocked and saddened us all. Our thoughts and prayers are with the Haitian people, the men and women who are working to help them recover from the earthquake that has devastated their nation, and the members of the Harvard community who are anxious for word from friends and loved ones living on the island.
– Drew Faust
January 14, 2010
How You Can Help
Scenes of such suffering remind us of our own humanity, and our natural reflex is to reach out to help. To make it easier for faculty and staff to contribute to the relief effort, the Harvard Community Gifts program provides several ways to make donations. A list of organizations that are helping Haiti to recover has been posted on the President’s page.
The University has also established a relief fund for Harvard faculty and staff directly affected by the earthquake in Haiti, and donations can be made online, in person or by mail through the Harvard Credit Union.
Other events organized to support relief efforts are listed on the Harvard Gazette Calendar.
Faculty and staff who have been personally affected by the earthquake can find information about applying for the University relief fund on HARVie. [Harvard ID and PIN required to log in.]
Employees and members of their households who need additional support because the disaster has touched them personally should contact Harvard’s Employee Assistance Program at 1-877-327-4278. Licensed, trained counselors are available 24/7. Help is free and confidential. Additional information has been posted on HARVie. [Log in required]
Responding to the Crisis
Immediately following the earthquake, the Harvard community mobilized to assist the victims. Emergency medical teams from Harvard-affiliated hospitals were dispatched to the region, and administrators began developing plans to support faculty and staff who were touched by the tragedy. See Harvard University Gazette coverage of Haiti.
- A message from President Drew Faust on the Haiti Relief Fund. Jan. 25, 2010
- A message from President Drew Faust to the University community. Jan. 14, 2010
- A letter from Dean Hammonds to the College. Jan. 15, 2010
- A message from Deans Frenk and Hunter to HSPH community, Jan 14, 2010
- A message from Dean Flier to the HMS community. Jan. 13, 2010
- A message from Dean Ellwood to the HKS community. Jan. 14, 2010
- A message from Dean Graham to the HDS community. Jan. 20, 2010
- A message from Dean McCartney to the GSE community. Jan. 14, 2010
- A message from Dean Light to the HBS community. Jan. 14, 2010