Campus & Community

This month in Harvard history

1 min read

June 1913 — Having proved itself during a five-year experimental period, the Business School emerges from the Faculty of Arts and Sciences to become an independent graduate school.

June 16, 1913 — The cornerstone of Widener Library is laid.

June 21, 1927 — The Fogg Museum formally opens its new quarters on Quincy St. A large-scale special-loan exhibition features the College’s early silver collection, Maya art from the Peabody Museum, illuminated manuscripts, paintings, drawings, tapestries, furniture, ivories, enamels, and other objects.

June 1940 — The Radcliffe Board of Trustees authorizes the use of Radcliffe dormitories for temporarily housing European refugee children.

June 2, 1954 — Ethiopian Emperor Haile Selassie visits Harvard. Selassie signs the University guest book, visits Houghton Library to inspect rare books and manuscripts with Ethiopian connections, and takes a short tour around the University.

From the Harvard Historical Calendar, a database compiled by Marvin Hightower