Campus & Community

This month in Harvard history

1 min read
  • Jan. 11, 1924 – Gale-force winds rip off the new copper roof of the library at the Blue Hill Meteorological Observatory (Milton, Mass.), depositing heavy sheets up to 30 feet away.
  • January 1929 – The Chemistry Department occupies its two newly completed laboratories, Mallinckrodt and Converse. Thanks to these new facilities, the department at last abandons the inadequate confines of Boylston Hall.
  • Jan. 22, 1934 – President Emeritus A. Lawrence Lowell addresses a letter to College Treasurer Henry L. Shattuck ’01, with whom Lowell has made some special financial arrangements. At Lowell’s insistence, the letter remains sealed until after his death (Jan. 6, 1943). On March 4, 1943, the Harvard Corporation publicly reveals that Lowell had given $2 million to sustain the Society of Fellows, the last great dream of his presidency. He had stipulated, however, that the gift remain anonymous during his lifetime. With his passing, what had formerly been designated “The Society of Fellows Foundation” becomes “The Anna Parker Lowell Fund,” in honor of his late wife. Lowell also gives three family portraits to be hung in Lowell House. – From the Harvard Historical Calendar, a database compiled by Marvin Hightower