The close-up perspective of the macro lens turns everyday surfaces into dynamic landscapes. Small, seemingly insignificant details spring to life under its focus.
Embellishments and the historic events they reference decorate the campus at Harvard. Science, both vibrantly alive and captured by master artisans, is on display, side by side with modern architecture and sweeping lines of design. Across the libraries, lecture halls, and museums, the macro lens takes a deeper inspection, charting the campus as topography.
Austin Hall at Harvard Law School, designed by famed architect Henry Hobson Richardson, has many unexpected details in the entrance design. Elaborate hinges decorate large wooden doors set against a tiled floor.
A carved lyre decorates the chairs inside the Loeb Music Library.
An elegantly crafted cabinet decorates Loeb House. The house was built and donated to the University by Harvard President A. Lawrence Lowell, Class of 1877.
A hinged tabletop and decorative carpet are pictured in Loeb House. The house stands on the site where three of A. Lawrence Lowell’s 19th-century predecessors — Presidents Felton, Hill, and Eliot — lived. Two of Lowell’s successors resided at Loeb House: James B. Conant ’14 and Nathan M. Pusey ’28.
Engravings adorn the grand fireplace inside the Ames Courtroom of Austin Hall at Harvard Law School.
A face carved from rose-hued marble decorates a column inside Austin Hall at Harvard Law School.
Robert R. Wilson’s metal sculpture “Topological III” sits in the entrance to the Science Center.
A sculpted flower and ornamentation are pictured outside the Busch-Reisinger Museum.
The face of an 1872 eight-day tall-case clock is displayed in the Faculty Room of University Hall.
A decorative marble molding in the dining room mantelpiece of Loeb House features the Veritas seal.
A marriage lid inlaid with sea otter teeth is displayed at the Peabody Museum of Archaeology and Ethnology. A marriage lid was a typical gift offered during weddings in the 19th century.
Moss grows on the bark of an English elm in Harvard Yard.
This Carludovica palmata — or Panama hat plant — is part of the Glass Flowers exhibition in the Harvard Museum of Natural History.
A Leptailurus serval is on display in the Harvard Museum of Natural History.
A coelacanth inside the Harvard Museum of Natural History. The placard reads: “This unusual fish is a coelacanth caught in 1965 around the Comoro Islands north of Madagascar. Until the startling discovery of the first living coelacanth off the coast of South America in 1938, scientists believed these ancient creatures to be extinct for almost 70 million years.”
A print by Le Corbusier is pictured on the worktable in the Weissman Preservation Center.
The projector window in the Carpenter Center is prominently decorated in corbu red — a color named after the building’s architect, Le Corbusier.
Four types of topographic maps are on display in the “Cartographic Grounds” exhibit at the Graduate School of Design.