Members of the Harvard community are invited to offer nominations and advice regarding the search for a new member of the Harvard Corporation, the University’s executive governing board. The search arises in light of the December announcement by James R. Houghton that he plans to step down from the Corporation at the end of the academic year, following 15 years of service. The search will be led by a joint committee of the governing boards including the following members:
- Drew Faust, president of Harvard University and Lincoln Professor of History
- Leila Fawaz, A.M. ’73 (overseer), Ph.D. ’79, Issam M. Fares Professor of Lebanese and Eastern Mediterranean Studies, director of the Fares Center for Eastern Mediterranean Studies, and professor of history and of diplomacy at the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University
- Paul Finnegan ’75 (overseer), M.B.A. ’82, co-CEO, Madison Dearborn Partners and former president of the Harvard Alumni Association
- Patricia King (Corporation member), J.D. ’69, Carmack Waterhouse Professor of Law, Medicine, Ethics, and Public Policy at the Georgetown University Law Center
- Richard Meserve (overseer), J.D. ’75, president of the Carnegie Institution for Science and former chairman of the Nuclear Regulatory Commission
- Robert Reischauer ’63 (Corporation member), president of the Urban Institute and former director of the Congressional Budget Office;
- James Rothenberg ’68 (Corporation member and ex-officio overseer), M.B.A. ’70, chairman, principal executive officer, and director of Capital Research and Management Company, and treasurer of Harvard University.
By charter, new members of the Corporation are elected by the President and Fellows with the counsel and consent of the Board of Overseers.
In addition to President Faust, Professor King, Mr. Reischauer, and Mr. Rothenberg, the current Corporation members include: James R. Houghton, A.B. ’58, M.B.A. ’62, Chairman Emeritus of Corning Incorporated, who as noted above will step down in June; Nannerl O. Keohane, LL.D. (hon.) ’93, Laurance S. Rockefeller Distinguished Visiting Professor of Public Affairs, Woodrow Wilson School, Princeton University, and former President of Duke University and Wellesley College; and Robert E. Rubin, A.B. ’60, Co-Chairman of the Council and Foreign Relations and former Secretary of the Treasury.
Confidential advice and nominations may be directed by e-mail to email@example.com or by letter to the Corporation Search Committee, Loeb House, 17 Quincy St., Cambridge, MA 02138.