Oct. 26, 1952 — Democratic presidential candidate Adlai Stevenson worships at the First Parish Church in Harvard Square and visits President James Bryant Conant afterwards in Massachusetts Hall.
October 1957 — A poll taken by the Harvard-Radcliffe Affiliation Committee reveals that only 9 of 33 Harvard groups oppose giving Radcliffe students full membership in their organizations, while 10 of 15 Radcliffe groups oppose joint membership.
Oct. 19, 1959 — The new chemical laboratory behind Mallinckrodt is dedicated and named the James Bryant Conant Laboratory — to the surprise of its namesake (President Pusey’s immediate predecessor and a chemist by training). The facility contains 21,000 usable square feet.
October 1960 — By a wide majority, the Faculty of Arts and Sciences approves revisions to the form and content of the College diploma: Latin gives way to English, engraving and engrossing give way to printing, and horizontal format gives way to vertical. The new English diploma is first conferred upon 60 students receiving midyear degrees in 1961.
Nov. 2, 1657 — By request of the Board of Overseers, the Great and General Court approves an Appendix to the Charter of 1650 clarifying the division of power between the Overseers and the Corporation.
Nov. 14, 1810 — John Thornton Kirkland, Class of 1789, AM 1792, becomes Harvard’s 14th President.
Nov. 1, 1899 — “The Harvard Bulletin” reports on College course statistics: “It is estimated that 8 per cent. of the students of Harvard take ancient languages; 22 per cent. modern languages; 14 per cent. history; 11 per cent. economics; 16 per cent. English; 4 per cent. mathematics; 6 per cent. philosophy; 11 per cent. natural science.”