April 17, 1893 — The first Blaschka glass flowers are formally presented to the Botanical Museum as a memorial to Dr. Charles Eliot Ware, Class of 1834, by his widow Elizabeth C. Ware and daughter Mary L. Ware. The two women had taken an early interest in the developing project and given it generous financial support. When completed in 1936, the Ware Collection of Glass Models of Plants will include more than 3,000 world-renowned specimens.
April 16, 1943 — Beneath cold, snow-spitting skies, the Harvard baseball team plays an exhibition game with the Boston Red Sox at Fenway Park. The Sox win, 21-0.
April 4, 1945 — At the Kaiser Shipyard in Richmond, Calif., the Radcliffe Club of San Francisco performs launching honors for the “S.S. Radcliffe Victory,” one of several wartime Victory ships named after prominent U.S. colleges and universities. Radcliffe students raise money for the ship’s library.
April 9, 1956 — The Senate Subcommittee on Disarmament convenes a special session in the Law School’s Ames Courtroom (Austin Hall). Presiding are Minnesota’s Hubert H. Humphrey and Rhode Island’s John O. Pastore.
— From the Harvard Historical Calendar, a database compiled by Marvin Hightower