Week of Feb. 24, 1975 – In a day-and-a-half “Meeting on Economic Criteria for Policy Formulation on Taxing Foreign Income,” the Law School’s International Tax Program explores the recent phenomenon of the multinational corporation.
Participants include 30 panelists from business, government, and academe, along with representatives from some 75 international-law and accounting firms and multinational corporations. Organizing the sessions are Law Professors Oliver Oldman (ITP Director) and Elisabeth Ann Owens (ITP Research Director).
February 1976 – The “Harvard Law Review” elects Susan R. Estrich as its first woman president.
Feb. 4, 1976 – At breakfast in South House (now Cabot House), Bill Gostylo ’77 leads the first session of “Advanced Spoon Balancing,” a no-credit House “course” announced in the “South House Newsletter.”
“Attila the Hun turned out to be a no-show for the ‘Charm Course’ sharing no-credit billing with Mr. Gostylo’s studies in steel.” (Quotation: “Harvard University Gazette,” Feb. 6, 1976)
Week of Feb. 9, 1976 – Choreographer Meredith Monk leads dance seminars for the Learning From Performers program.
Feb. 17, 1976 – Pusey Library officially opens for partial business. The new facility houses the University Archives, the Harvard Theatre Collection, and the Harvard Map Collection, as well as additional stacks for Widener and Houghton libraries.
Pusey is the first building in the world to use a Halon 1301 fire-extinguishing system for an entire structure. An inert form of Freon, Halon 1301 deprives fires of the oxygen they need to burn without damaging library materials.
Feb. 18, 1976 – In Boylston Auditorium, Canadian author Margaret Atwood launches a six-part public-lecture series on Canadian literature and culture funded by the Canadian government. English Assistant Professor David Staines plays a major role in organizing the program.
February 1977 – The Harvard Institute for Learning in Retirement opens in the Division of Continuing Education.
February 1977 – Gay W. Seidman ’78 becomes the first woman president of “The Harvard Crimson.”
Feb. 26, 1977 – The Institute of Politics (Kennedy School of Government) holds a conference on “The New Conservatism.”
– From the Harvard Historical Calendar, a database compiled by Marvin Hightower