September 1959 – Quincy House opens as the eighth upperclass undergraduate residence and the first addition to the Harvard House system since completion of the original group in 1931. It is also the first building completed with funds from the $82.5 million Program for Harvard College.
September 1976 – Tuition, room, and board rise $500, boosting the annual basic College bill to $6,430.
September 1976 – Under the supervision of FAS Continuing Education Director Michael Shinagel, the Center for Continuing Education is established to diversify the Continuing Education program.
September 1986 – Tuition, room, and board at Harvard and Radcliffe Colleges rise 6.9 percent to $16,145. Much of the hike derives from increased expenditures for labor, renovation, research equipment, and library modernization.
Oct. 7, 1642 – By order of the Great and General Court, a reorganized Board of Overseers becomes a permanent part of College governance.
October 1784 – Harvard awards an honorary Doctor of Laws degree to Maj. Gen. Marie-Joseph-Paul-Yves-Roch-Gilbert du Motier, the Marquis de Lafayette.
Oct. 26, 1912 – The Boston Elevated Railway Co. opens Stadium Station on lower Boylston (now Kennedy) St. for the convenience of Saturday Harvard football crowds.
– From the Harvard Historical Calendar, a database compiled by Marvin Hightower