Campus & Community

This month in Harvard history

1 min read
  • May 21, 1890 – A University statute combines faculty of the Lawrence Scientific School with the College Faculty (which is the same as the Graduate School Faculty) to form the 62-member Faculty of Arts and Sciences. There are 12 Divisions, with larger ones broken down into Departments. 
  • May 30, 1901 – Memorial Day. The Harvard Lampoon distributes its first parody of The Harvard Crimson (which never publishes on Memorial Day). 
  • May 25, 1905 – On Ralph Waldo Emerson’s birthday, Harvard dedicates Emerson Hall (the first building in America devoted exclusively to philosophy) by hosting a national meeting of the American Philosophical Association. The then-large sum of $208,485 was needed to build and equip the hall. The Philosophy Department had previously functioned in locations scattered around the College. – From the Harvard Historical Calendar, a database compiled by Marvin Hightower