Campus & Community
This month in Harvard history
- Jan. 9, 1943 – To help alleviate a shortage of qualified teachers in mathematics and the physical sciences, the Graduate School of Education opens two 15-week retraining programs for experienced teachers in Massachusetts schools who normally teach other subjects. The tuition-free courses are sponsored by the Engineering, Science, and Management War Training Program and the Massachusetts Department of Education.
- Jan. 10, 1943 – In the Memorial Church, Harvard holds a Valedictory Service of “farewell and Godspeed” for about 1,500 undergraduates about to enter the U.S. armed forces. An overflow crowd listens by remote hookup in Sanders Theatre. The event signals the end of normal College functioning in the wake of World War II.
- Jan. 10, 1943 – A bronze replica of Eleanor Platt’s portrait bust of the late U.S. Supreme Court Justice Louis D. Brandeis, LLB 1877, is presented to the Law School by 19 of his former secretaries.
- Jan. 15, 1943 – The Farlow Reference Library and Herbarium of Cryptogamic Botany publishes the first issue of Farlowia, a taxonomic journal designed to accommodate monographs longer than those currently allowed by American journals. Curator David Linder hopes that the new journal will make it unnecessary for American botanists to send their longer works to European journals. Plans call for publishing volume one semiannually over the first two years and switching afterwards to quarterly publication if subscriptions support the change. – From the Harvard Historical Calendar, a database compiled by Marvin Hightower