Campus & Community

This month in Harvard History

2 min read
  • Nov. 1, 1924 – The Harvard-Boston (Egyptian) Expedition begins excavation of the royal cemetery of King Cheops (Khufu) near the Great Pyramid and soon identifies the tombs of Prince Kawa’ab (Cheops’s eldest son), four other princes, Princess Meresankh II, and two pyramid priests. 
  • Nov. 6, 1928 – President A. Lawrence Lowell informs the Faculty of Arts and Sciences of Edward Harkness’s $3 million gift for an “Honor College,” the seed of the Harvard undergraduate House system. The Governing Boards respond so favorably that in several weeks, Harkness ups the gift to $10 million to create seven Houses – three to be built from scratch, four to be created from existing halls and necessary additions. 
  • Nov. 4, 1941 – Election Day. Proportional representation (“Plan E”) comes to Cambridge. Memorial Hall serves as a tabulation center for the 35,000 votes cast throughout the city. Eighty-three candidates vie for 9 seats on the Cambridge City Council. 
  • November 1942 – A new Cambridge city ordinance requires the registration of all bicycles. For a 25-cent fee, the registered cyclist receives an ID, a license plate (nuts and bolts included), and a registration certificate. Cambridge Police files in Central Square maintain four cross-reference cards on each bike. Starting in December, unregistered cyclists will be fined a maximum of $20. The regulation affects some 800 Harvard cyclists. – From the Harvard Historical Calendar, a database compiled by Marvin Hightower