Campus & Community

This month in Harvard history

1 min read
  • May 6, 1951 – The new Eliot Bridge across the Charles River at Gerry’s Landing is dedicated to the memory of President Charles W. Eliot and his son Charles Eliot, the landscape architect who designed the Boston Metropolitan Park system. 
  • May 28, 1951 – About 350 former newspaperboys convene at Boston’s Parker House to mark the 50th anniversary of the Newsboys Protective Union and to celebrate the Boston Newsboys Scholarship at Harvard. Established at the instigation of Nathan S. Sodekson (of the Boston NPU, Local 9077, A.F. of L.), the BNS was designed to assist Boston newsboys in getting a Harvard education. By the summer of 1906, Sodekson’s local union had raised $2,667.16, which allowed the sponsorship of the first scholar-newsboy, Myron Heller ’10. By the time of the Union celebration, 35 individuals had won the scholarship.The scholarship provides tuition during the first year only; afterwards, the winner is expected to earn his way.


  • May 1967 – More than 800 guests fill the Palmer Dixon Tennis Courts to celebrate John Finley’s 25th anniversary as Master of Eliot House.– From the Harvard Historical Calendar, a database compiled by Marvin Hightower