On Jan. 16, University Hall re-opened for business after extensive renovations that began last June. Its occupants, returning from temporary offices at 1033 Massachusetts Ave. and the Engineering Science Lab on Oxford Street, include Faculty of Arts and Sciences (FAS) Dean Jeremy R. Knowles, College Dean Harry Lewis, Dean of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences Peter Ellison, Dean of Undergraduate Education Susan Pedersen, and the offices of Academic Affairs, FAS Administration, FAS Communications, Faculty Development, the FAS Financial Office, the Secretary of the Faculty, and Undergraduate Education. Phone numbers for all offices remain the same; university mail can be directed to the department name in University Hall.
University Hall, a national historic landmark designed by Charles Bulfinch and built in 1814, now bears a clean and historically more accurate exterior, a new slate roof, repointed chimneys and relaid steps. The interior has been updated with new heating, ventilation, and cooling systems, sprinklers, and an elevator and platform lifts. The Faculty Room has two new doors and a hidden audio system, among other improvements, and the paint schemes throughout University Hall reflect Bulfinch’s original palette.