A minor chemical spill forced the limited evacuation of the Science Center basement on Wednesday morning. According to authorities with the Environmental Health and Safety Office (EHS), a small amount of a solvent with an ether-like smell was apparently poured down a drain in a laboratory, creating a strong odor in the room. There was no class in the lab at the time, and there were no injuries.
EHS professionals responded to the scene to measure air quality readings, and determined there was no health hazard. EHS occupational safety manager Gary Kassabian says a consultant was called in to monitor organic vapor levels in the building. They were deemed safe, and the evacuation order was lifted.
Kassabian says the spill was most likely accidental.