Winthrop House stands like a line of sentinels along the banks of the Charles River between the Anderson and Weeks bridges. The House is actually made up of two buildings, Gore Hall and Standish Hall, which were constructed in 1914 as freshman dormitories. In 1931, when Harvard instituted the House system, the buildings became John Winthrop House, one of the seven original Harvard Houses.

Today, House Masters Ronald Sullivan Jr. and Stephanie Robinson lead a community of more than 400 students that celebrates the arts, athletics, and scholarship.