Harvard Shield masthead element Harvard University Gazette
Search the Gazette
HOME : On Campus ON CAMPUS Prev issues | Contact us | Harvard News Office
Current Issue:
May 02, 2002

News, events, features

Latest scientific findings

The people behind the university

Harvard and neighbor communities

Scores, highlights, upcoming games

On Campus
Newsmakers, notes, students, police log

Museums, concerts, theater

Two-week listing of upcoming events




This month in Harvard history

  • May 12, 1638 - By order of the Great and General Court, "Newetowne" is renamed "Cambrige" (Cambridge).

  • May 1638 - The College Yard expands as the Town of Cambridge grants the College a lot of land that today includes Harvard, Hollis, Stoughton, and Holworthy halls.

  • May 13, 1847 - The Harvard Corporation votes to establish "an advanced school of instruction in theoretical and practical science and in the other usual branches of academic learning, to be called The Scientific School of the University at Cambridge." In June, when Abbott Lawrence gives $50,000 to endow the new school, the enterprise is promptly redubbed "the Lawrence Scientific School in the University at Cambridge." About half the gift goes into the building of Lawrence Hall (1850, which burns down in 1970 on the site of today's Science Center). The remainder supports professorships in engineering and geology.

  • May 1855 - Led by Charles W. Eliot (Harvard's future 21st President) and Edward H. Ammidown, a Harvard Club of Boston is formed. It goes bankrupt in 1857, however, and a Boston club does not re-emerge until 1908.

    - From the Harvard Historical Calendar, a database compiled by Marvin Hightower

    Copyright 2002 by the President and Fellows of Harvard College